View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #103
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I thoroughly recommend the Otto Prohaska books by John Biggins. Someone loaned me a paper copy of A Sailor of Austria years ago, and when I looked for a copy for my Kindle, I discovered there are four books in the series. I've now read two, and need to get around to reading the other two.

I guess they're best described as humorous historical adventure fiction. The main character, Otto Prohaska, is an officer in the Austro-Hungarian navy when WW1 breaks out. In the first book, he's the captain of a submarine. He has some bizarrely comical adventures, and the writing is laced with humour. "I can still say with complete confidence that no one can claim to have plumbed the depths of human misery who has not shared the fore-ends of a submarine with a camel."

The books are well researched, and do an excellent job of describing the oddities of life in the Austro-Hungarian navy in the dying days of the empire.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote