View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Until they can make the screens from light, flexible material, I don't see anything above 9.7" as being practical. That reader is already pretty heavy. With the current technology, the larger the screen, the stiffer they have to make the reader against bending and twisting. That means stronger glass and a beefier case, which all adds up to more weight. The resolution only goes up with the linear dimension L, but the weight will go up at least as L squared (probably more to boost the stiffness), and the torque on the fingers and wrists will go up as L times the weight.

My 9.7" reader's screen is almost exactly the size of a letter-sized piece of paper folded in half. So, a letter sized screen would be roughly equivalent to two of my current ereaders laid side-by-side. Even without added weight to make the case stiffer, the thing would be unwieldy.

There are some flexible, plastic-substrate displays in development, so I live in hope that they can be used to produce larger displays someday. But who knows when that will be?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote