View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #28
topquark
Connoisseur
topquark began at the beginning.

Device: K3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I also encountered problems with dropcaps and tested your dropcaps style. Unfortunately, it didn't work on my K3. Furthermore, it proved that the azw3 output generated by Calibre doesn't match the KF8 output generated by the latest version of KindleGen as the Kindle for PC (K4PC) and Kindle 3 (K3) screenshots show.

Can you post your test .epub?
Okay I have tried Kindlegen and I don't really see that big of a difference between the Kindlegen-converted and the Calibre-converted AZW3. Maybe it has to do with the particular book you were trying to convert. Look at my screencaps.

There are some things you might be missing. One, did you tweak the 8th (last) value in the font size key in calibre? make sure it matches the size of your dropcap font that you could see in sigil. For instance, if the dropcap size in sigil is 3em, your 8th value should be 48 because (I think) the values here are in px.

Two, what about your other settings in Calibre? In Look and Feel, here are my settings (only for books with dropcaps):

disable font size rescaling unchecked
base font size: 16
font size key: 12.0, 12.0, 14.0, 16.0, 18.0, 20.0, 22.0, 48.0 -->>change the last value depending on your dropcap font size)
minimum line height: 120%
Line size, line height and everything else zero or blank

Also, your ebook will look different in sigil and calibre (and maybe also kindle for pc -- I didn't even know that kindle for PC could now read AZW3.) Try using Kindle Previewer.

Finally, here is another dropcap code you could try to use. This is the one I used for this particular ebook:

.drop {
float: left;
font-size:3em;
margin-top: -.3em;
margin-bottom: -.5em;
margin-right: .05em;
}

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drops_calibre.jpg
Views:	346