Thread: MobileRead February 2013 Book Club Vote
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here are some reviews for Stardust.

Quote:
A beautiful and imaginative romp through a magical world where the improbable can happen and love prevails. Fairies, witches, a lost kingdom, and a fallen star.
Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me that Gaiman can take every single sentence in a book, no matter how mundane, and make it absolutely integral to the full completion of the plotline. This was a joy to read, a true contemporary fairytale.
Quote:
I can only do fantasy novels every so often; I much prefer literature. Still, I find it important to read these things on occasion, because they provide such an excellent escape: that leap into worlds that are nothing like ours; the way they enable our going beyond ourselves and render us capable of expanding our consciousness; the way they can temporarily alter us in ways non-fantasy novels are incapable. We could all use that kind of escape once in a while.

And Stardust was great for just that. It was an easy read, never a strain; very imaginative, even at times, captivating. This was my first exposure to Gaiman and I'm left impressed: his writing was acute and flowing, his imagination, vivid; most of all, the man can tell a story with the best of them. Or, at least, that's what I take from Stardust: A love story in the fantasy realm, done so well it could only have been written by a master of the craft, which is what Neil Gaiman seems to be.
Quote:
Neil Gaiman, one of the finest fantasy storytellers of modern times, wrote Stardust to honor the simpler fairy tales and fantasies of times past, where a town was akin to a place magical and a person could wonder without restraint if he or she so choosed. What Gaiman accomplishes with this storytelling endeavor is as imaginative as Tinkerbell’s pixie dust in transporting the reader through a tale of love, danger and adventure.
Quote:
The beautiful adult fairy-tale Stardust is an entrancing read, wonderfully written and full of intriguing characters. An outstanding, timeless story, and sure to enchant readers. (Yes, even the ones who don't like unicorns)
Quote:
Stardust won the Mythpoeic Award for best adult fairy tale.
Quote:
If ever there was a book that could be labeled, 'Drink me!', Stardust is that book.
Quote:
This is a gentle fairy tale for adults by an excellent storyteller.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-24-2013 at 09:26 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote