View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #66
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Sharkus,

What I said was not intended as a personal attack, but when a Kobo team member starts posting about how negativity affects performance, etc. it is bound to annoy people. If anyone has a right to be annoyed and express that annoyance it is consumers dealing with frustrating situations. You're extremely lucky to just take a few barbs here and there rather than just being passed over at the sales counter. Your company and the development team have EARNED any truthful criticism you get. Many of us would consider that motivation enough to get our collective ducks in a row very damn quickly.

In my book, you're very lucky as a company that you produce hardware with software innovations of sufficient merit that the consumer will purchase despite bugs that are sometimes multigenerational in the firmware. I returned a bugfree, near as I could tell, Nook w/ Glowlight because your display hardware on the Glo is better, and because of software features you offer.

Many of us deal with similar issues, but at some point you have to adopt a "coffee is for closers" attitude. Despite any barbs, most of us really want Kobo to succeed and sometimes we're just frustrated at how close you guys are to producing really stellar product.
Oddly, it seems the majority of Glo owners are quite happy with their purchase despite some relatively minor bugs -- the relatively minor being my not so humble opinion.

Personally, I've been finding the carping by some posters in this forum is making me think twice about continuing to participate here and I have lived through many a flame war over the decades. If I was a Kobo employee who was here on my own time attempting to be helpful and kept getting the barn floor shoveled into my face, I might come to the conclusion that my time was better spent tending to my carnivorous plant collection.

Yes, there are bugs in Kobo's firmware. If you really think the Kindle, Nook, Sony or other reader do not also have their share of bugs, you should try reading through those forums -- seem to be quite a few complaints there as well. Does the Kobo have more bugs? That I'm not sure of. I notice them more because I have used several Kobo devices (all except the mini and Arc) and I will admit that I am not the normal user. The "normal user" does not have 1600 books on their Kobo -- about 2300 more and I'll catch up with my woodpulp collection. The "normal user" does not consider Sigil or equivalent as very useful everyday tool. The "normal user" does not compare various dithering algorithms for their effect on graphics displayed in an epub or cbX file. The "normal user" does not notice and complain about the defective epub files produced by many publishers.

Perhaps Kobo could be more transparent with their bugfix process. Something like Calibre's bugs or Sigil's issues web pages might work. OTOH, Kobo is a for profit corporation and might not like putting that much information out for their competitors or spending money that could be used elsewhere to pay someone to maintain the list.

However, I am very certain that repetitive whinging in these forums is not the way to encourage anyone to participate. Kobo the company may have "EARNED" your criticism but enough is enough -- quit dumping on people who are volunteering in an attempt to be helpful because you are unhappy that Kobo Inc. has not fixed every bug or possible bug that has been mentioned. Post your complaints once then consider your self-annointed job of whinging done. Get a life. No one forced you to sell your Nook and purchase a Glo so stop making the rest of us regret that move on your part.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 01-22-2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: typos, what else is old?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote