View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Just my opinion, but shying away from books banned in the 1950s will likely eliminate a lot of literature now acknowledged as great.

People are really thinking outside of what I would consider the 'romance box'—Lolita, Shards of Honor, Stardust (literature, science fiction, fantasy)—but that is fine with me as romance is not my favorite category. Stilll I can't help but think of something that I believe Sun Surfer said quite while ago about what it seems would qualify a book as romance. Something like that as long as one character was nice to another character it could be called a romance.
Yes, we may be pushing it here in terms of romance. But (IMHO) I think romance is when two characters fall in love during the course of the story. If it's just sex or lust, then it doesn't count as romance.

I find Sun Surfer's description invalid. Because if his description was correct for romance, then we could read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as romance because we do have Ford Prefect being nice to Arthur Dent and saving Arthur's life. That just doesn't work (IMHO).

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-21-2013 at 09:15 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote