View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #25
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylv1 View Post
Do you mean that :
  • you did a factory reset and recovered your original SN (the one that is printed on the original label on the kobo packaging)
  • you did a factory reset and recovered some SN that did not only consist of 0s (and you did not check that it was actually your original SN)
...freekobo tell us wether he did check that the SN was actually the one printed on his Kobo's box ?

Thanks !
Yes I checked, its my SN...and the part after the first occurrence (the manufacturer date i think?) is different.

Well, what I did was put KevinShort's image to a spare sd card.
I made an image of the second partition (recovery_fs) and then I applied the image over my broken second partition. I tried a recovery..it worked...and then it updated, I checked the SN again, its the same as it was when I got it.
I made a image of my sd..my SN has 4 occurrences...but on KevinShort's image I located the first one all 0's, the second one I found searching for 'deviceSerial' and located his SN, and then searched his image using his SN...it came up with 12 occurrences. BUT I searched his SN in my image, and was unable to find any occurrences. KevinShort's Image also has text from a book in it...which I found odd....
I have no idea what to make of all this, but ya...thats what I did & found.

Update: I also checked backup image from before I imaged over KevinShort's recovery and my SN appears 15 times in the image... weird... I also checked the image of the recovery partition I made, no SN at all that I could locate using a binary hex editor....

Last edited by freekobo; 01-16-2013 at 10:55 AM.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote