View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #33
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
To help you realize that the tipping point is trivially in favour of ebooks, consider the following points:

1) The actual number will be significantly higher than a 100. If you used it so little that it was <= 100 you wouldn't be buying a new one every couple of years.
2) The devices are not likely to remain single function
1) Well first the number is actually less. Look at me, I'm the worst case, I bought an eInk device, and still buy paper Books. Since I actually find the paper still far more comfortable to read (having light reflection issues) and to annotate (annotation is terrible on the iLiad, altough the only device were remotely possible with any sense at all). I use it with function 2) however as note taking device.

100 is far too much, while there are some individuals like you or quite a couple on mobileread, its sure not the "average". This is IMHO the "overestimation effect". Any indivual overestimates the population sharing the same or similar trait than he has on about anything.

Note exactly out of that reason, paper won't go away any time soon. Some people read say 2 books a year. What would you advice them to buy? The 2 paper books or one eReader?

Really there are many factors going in, and yes I can imagine review studies that both speak for or against the environmental issues of eInk devices. Depends who pays the reviewer. I could think of how to approach both ways to the subject, getting likely different endresults. And I can fully understand why the eInk manufactures don't write in big letters "the ultimate safer on the environment" on their device, since exactly in its production its not quite environment friendly, nor are there any recylcing plans done or even feasible... i personally sure won't buy a device for 500€ which has an already used display!

Also how much paper is produced each year for books in comparison for toiletpaper? I don't see the eInk devices remove the need of toiletpaper...

Last edited by axel77; 08-20-2008 at 01:09 PM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote