View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Dictionary lookup (French-English) not working in some ebooks

Firstly, I have an Iliad V2, running 2.12, for whatever that's worth.

I recently bought the Chambers Dictionary and Harraps Shorter French-English Dictionary.

I am experiencing no problems with the Chambers.

However, with the French-English, it will not work with some specific books, but only on the Iliad (ie. it works fine on Mobipocket Reader on the laptop).

Initially I thought it was a problem with my relocating my books from the Iliad's internal memory to a compact flash card. I did some mucking around there (removing books, resending them from the laptop, simply dragging the dictionary across manually), but no success. I also removed the compact flash card altogether (changing the settings for locations on the Iliad), relocating the books back to internal memory, in case that was the problem. I did all this initially because I hadn't realised it was ebook-specific. It was during these investigations that I found this out.

In the end, I narrowed it down to the fact that, as shown in Mobipocket Reader on my laptop, the ebooks that cannot "see" the French-English dictionary on the Iliad are those that have anything other than "neutral" in the language field.

For instance, my 6 ebook volumes of Proust's In Search of Lost Time have a language of "en-us". Other books ("public domain", often obtained from here) have a language of "en" or "en-gb" or, one I created myself "en-au".

Note that the languages of the Chambers Dictionary (which all ebooks seem to find), and the French-English Dictionary (which only the "neutral" seem to find), are, respectively:

en<->en
fr<->en

(Note the "<->" is a two-ended arrow, unlike the "en-us" for example, which just has the "-")

So, that's where I am stuck. It looks to little old ignorant me that I either change the language of all the books to neutral, or change the language of the French-English Dictionary (fr<->en) to the same as the Chambers (en<->en). One involves changing a lot of books; one involves changing one book. Either I am prepared to do.

If this is possible, my question is, "How?"

(Apologies if I've missed something. I've been looking at this all day, so it's all a bit messed up in my head at the moment.)

Cheers, with thanks in advance,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 08-19-2008 at 08:24 PM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote