View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #20
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
@Xendula: no, this is not supposed to be a PocketBook vs. Kindle competition, but the OP asked about the PocketBook Touch and you introduced the Kindle into the discussion. Then I asked for a comparison.

As to foreign contents: especially for European languages, epub is the standard format, and Adobe DRM the most frequently used form of DRM. That is supported by PocketBook, not by Kindle. An exception is Russia, where fb2 is a de facto standard. Supported by PocketBook, not by Kindle. Most if not all libraries offer books with Adobe DRM.

The availability of free content can never be an argument in favor of any ereader. There is lots of free content both for the Kindle and for other readers. Mostly these are the same titles, and anyway, it does not matter, because these unprotected books are very easy to convert.

On the PocketBook, you can go to the settings to specify which of the installed dictionaries you want to have active, and then, when looking up a word from your text you can easily (two taps is what it takes) switch between these active dictionaries.

The Kindle may have some impressive dictionary titles, but the quality of a dictionary on an ereader is not determined by its title. (BTW, the OED you refer to in a quote is not the dictionary that is installed on your Kindle.) A dictionary on an ereader could for instance have only a subsection of the words of the original, or it might not be able to handle inflected/conjugated forms properly (in that respect the dictionaries on Onyx readers are very disappointing). That is why I asked for a real comparison. PocketBook comes with some 20 bilingual ABBYY Lingvo dictionaries, and many aditional dictionaries can be bought or downloaded for free, including Oxford and Collins dictionaries. Once again, I don't know how they compare in practice with the Kindle dictionaries.

One of the reasons I bought a PocketBook is exactly the support it gives for foreign content, in particular Russian content.

The Kindle PW does have some more advanced hardware features, as you mention, but the firmware of the PocketBook has many, many features that help me to display the books in the best possible way (isn't that what an ereader is all about?), and that are relevant to me. I can install any number of fonts, use any font size, have a large library on my reader without the danger of slowing down things, etc. PocketBook offers text-to-speech in several dozens of languages (great tool for language learning!). And as far as I know PocketBook is the only brand that supports multitasking (but correct me if I'm wrong). I can have several books open at the same time, and it takes only two taps to switch between them (or any other app I have open at the time). For me, the advanced software features justify the somewhat higher price.

Last edited by Zetmolm; 12-23-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote