View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #6
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn99 View Post
Not to mention that recent titles are avilable and you can even put a request to reserve these books - just like a physical book. But, I still can't wrap my head around the idea that the license only allows certain number of copies of the book at checked out anytime ( 6 copies) I thought, moving into the digital releam, we would be allowed more freedom, but restrictions are set.

I understand DRM etc. but why does it matter how many copies of the book(s) are checked out? Why do people have to wait for these books to show up the virtual shelf. The whole point of virtual library and e-books is instant and convenient consumption?
Yes but the whole point of copyright is to create an artificial scarcity so that publishers can charge monopoly prices. It would defeat the purpose of copyright if libraries were exempt - even though it would mean many people could enjoy the book simultaneously instead of erecting waiting lines were none need exist.

But I'm thankful that libraries are embracing ebooks even if they have to abide by silly rules.

Last edited by RobbieClarken; 08-12-2008 at 07:42 AM.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote