View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #290
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Those are effectively limited-function gadgets....

Modern smartphones and tablets are arguably closer to video game consoles than they are to full function computers....
Define "full-function computer". Both the Nook and the Fire are much more capable computing devices than the first PC I bought back in 1987 (let alone my CP/M machine half a decade earlier). And the X-Box gaming console *is* a full-function computer; there are at least a half dozen desktop Linux distros that can be installed on it.

If we're going to define "full-function computer" as "whatever current state of the art is in desktop computing" then by definition *any* dedicated device is going to be "limited-function". I'm not sure why that makes it's operating system irrelevant.

As I see it, as technology consumers we're not doing less computing than before. We've simply taken the computing tasks we used to do on a single multi-function device sitting on our desks, and distributed those same tasks across a small handful of somewhat less "multi-function" devices sitting in our pockets. But if Linux is irrelevant to my ereading just because I'm reading on a Kindle, then why does Windows suddenly become relevant when I'm doing my ereading on my PC? Ditto Internet surfing, online gaming Skyping or any number of other computing tasks I no longer do exclusively on my desktop?

More and more of our daily computing tasks are being performed with OSes that don't come from Redmond. If the OS of a dedicated device is irrelevant, then why is Microsoft's revenue in decline?

Last edited by Nathanael; 12-02-2012 at 07:57 AM.