View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #130
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It still strikes me as being fundamentally dishonest, I'm afraid.

You've freely and willingly entered into a contract with Amazon, the terms of which are that Amazon give you $20 (or whatever it is) off the price of a Kindle in exchange for you seeing ads. It doesn't matter whether or not you buy anything - you've willingly entered into a contract, and now you're walking away from your side of the deal by removing the ads.

Amazon provide you with a legitimate mechanism for buying yourself out of the contact, by paying the difference in price between the ad-supported and the non ad-supported version of the device.
There is no "my side of the deal". They offered me a device for some specific price, and I said "OK, I take it". Granted, they offered another device with very similar functionality for a higher price... but I opted for the cheaper one. And it is now MY device, and I can do whatever I want with it.

The parts of the EULA which try to forbid me to do some things like reverse engineering, modifying software etc., are simply void where I live - in fact, these actions are explicitly *permitted* here, by law. I did not agree to these terms of the EULA, because I don't need to. So I don't feel guilty at all.

If I decided to install duokan on it, would I be a fundamentally dishonest person? It would've removed the ads, after all. If I decided to just throw it in the next campfire,.... would I... I would actually NEVER see any ads on that device anymore.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote