View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #369
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post

I find it a tad hard to believe that even the most greedy would pay $200 for something without at least seeing the front. Or why the seller would go to the trouble of duct taping a broken mirror to the front.

And I must ask, why oh why, was the duct tape not visible from the back in the second photo. Even cutting it with an exacto knife it would have been visible and the seller was not using precision tools.
The entire fake item was basically just a mirror. The mirror wasn't duct-taped to anything. Rather a fake Best Buy ad/sticker was duct-taped to the front of the mirror. The mirror isn't broken. What you see in the picture is that Best Buy paper torn (probably by the woman). And not sure why you think the duct tape would have had to have been visible from the back.

As for why the seller would go to the trouble of making a poor mock-up of the real item, obviously there was no real reason to. So I think he was simply laughing at his victims. He was adding insult to injury.

Quote:
National inquirer stuff IMO although less believable
So are you saying the woman made this story up and wasn't really a victim? That doesn't make sense. The story was widely reported and the Arlington PD even commented on the incident in one of the stories. And it's a crime to make a false police report. This scam is also as old as the hills. I've seen it myself on the streets of NY for a long time. This is not something new. There is a sucker born every minute!

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 11-11-2012 at 06:53 PM.