View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #81
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Why shouldn't ownership and rereading be connected? Ownership means I can reread the book whenever it strikes my fancy to do so. I don't have to rely on the book being available elsewhere; I don't have to search for it or wait for it. If it goes out of print, I still have my copy.
I don't actually think we're disagreeing that much, here. Re-reading is one benefit of owning books, sure. But it's not the only benefit, and it's not really a factor at the time of purchase (since you don't know if you're ever going to want to re-read it yet).

My point is that hoping it's a book you're going to want to re-read someday is not the end-all, be-all determining factor in buy vs borrow. Many people (not just you) seem to make the faulty assumption that those who tend to NOT re-read would/should have no interest in buying/owning books. That's just not always the case.

Where we really differ is you that don't keep books you don't like and wouldn't want to re-read; whereas I tend to keep every book I've purchased. I don't continue reading books I don't like, but my tastes have changed drastically over the years. I may like it later in life. That happens to me all the time.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote