View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #60
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
To those that see in-store browsing of books as inherently superior/better/more pleasant/whatever, I'm going to make the assumption that you were probably lucky enough to have a quality bookstore relatively close that had a vast assortment of books to choose from. And that you had a convenient way to get there. Some never had that.
I've only recently lived in a city, and I've never lived in a big city, so I've never had a large, quality bookstore within easy reach. For me, though, one area where online bookstores really win out is when looking for unusual non-fiction. Back in the early 1990s, I was in the history section of a large bookstore and bemoaning to my friends how difficult it was to find books about the 1971 Indo-Pakistani war. A clerk cheerily bounded up and asked if he could help, so I asked him. I got a blank look. If I search for "1971 Indo-Pakistani war" on Amazon, I get 195 results. Not all of them are relevant, but that's a lot better than a blank look.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote