View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #46
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
Copyright infringement is not piracy. Copyright infringement is copying and/or distributing copyright material. Piracy is selling copyright material without permission. People used to sell fake-DVDs. That is piracy. The vast majority of those who engage in copyright infringement do not profit from it, often quite the opposite.

Equating downloading a copy of a file to theft is quite ridiculous. One deprives someone of the use of the object in question, the other merely duplicates an electronic file. This is claimed to be a loss but that is only true if the infringer would otherwise always have purchased a copy. It is reasonable to conclude that this is not the case in all instances.

I really wish people would think about this issue in a somewhat rational fashion without swallowing wholesale the propaganda. There is a fundamental difference between actual property and so-called intellectual property. One has a finite existence, the other less so.
Well said. If you shoplift a DVD, you are depriving the store the ability to sell it, and there are costs involved with the manufacturing and shipping of the DVD. Those conditions are not there with downloading a file. With downloading a file, no one is actually victimized.

Downloading a file is not the same as theft of a physical object. It's not theft at all, as I see it. "Unauthorized copying" is probably the best term. I do think downloading is wrong, because creative people should be supported and compensated for their time, talent, and effort, and becuase they should have control of their intellectual property (for a time. Life + 75 years is ludicrous).

But it is not theft per se. I don't necessarily disagree that it should be punishable offense, but anything more than a mild fine or temporary loss of internet is pure overkill.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote