View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
The problem with voice control and activation is our generally noisy environment. I already dislike any cubical-neighbors who insist on using speaker phones whenever they answer their phone. I frequently get an urge to join their conversation and say inappropriate things. If more people start talking to their phones I may go postal.

To me, the next big thing has to be a major display improvement, either foldable/rollable or heads-up (e.g. Google glasses). I think heads-up has more long term bang.

There are many small things that improve incrementally such as battery capacity, memory capacity, processing speed (and speed per unit energy). I think the 'next thing' to evolve from this incremental improvement is having your cell phone be your primary PC via a docking station. It has been tried before but our overall usable mobile power is still not quite up to snuff. Maybe in 3 to 5 years.

There is a competing movement toward cloud computing. That relieves the hardware from having to be powerful but it requires a connection. We're too far behind the curve on nation-wide fast wireless access for the cloud to take over. In 3 to 5 years, maybe.

But I'm not seeing the signs of ubiquitous cheap wifi or cellular 4G while I am seeing the constant hardware improvements mentioned above. Our government COULD probably institute nationwide wifi in one year, if it was a priority, but the major cellular providers (AT&T, Verion, Sprint) would cry foul.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote