View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 05:28 AM   #127
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by picco View Post
In particular I would like to know if you can:
-zoom at arbitrary factors (I use it to zoom one column in two col papers)
-highlight
-annotate freehand
-annotate typing text

and if the whole thing is responsive enough to be useful (how long it takes to flip a page, scroll..)
You can certainly zoom at variable levels (I haven't checked the limits thought), and you can make annotations with both freehand and typed text. I don't know what you mean by 'highlight' (if it's changing the font face to bold or the like, it's not possible but you can type over it achieving the same effect).

Flipping a page is a bit slow (compared to the system viewer) because of how PDFs are rendered in the background in the Xournal port, and scroll is generally slow in all eInk devices due to the low screen refresh rate. Knowing that, responsiveness is OK for me.

All that said, two more warnings:
-I've crashed Xournal on the DR1000 a few times by opening and going trough PDFs with many annotations (~100 pages, >25 with annotations)
-I'm still playing with calibration, etc., but so far I find making annotations on a DR800 considerably more difficult/less accurate than on the DR1000, especially near the margins.
Of course, YMMV.
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote