View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
A huge issue with all these iPhone readers is: how do I transfer my own files ? Mobipocket is usually Windows only, I'm afraid that they won't release an application for OS X and Linux. Since you need an application that acts as a server to send your own file, this could be a potential issue for a lot of users.
They could use the same approach that Fictionwise has announced (not deployed, yet), which is allowing people to upload content to personal bookshelf spaces on their servers. Fictionwise already has this functionality, used for their eBookwise product, so it shouldn't be too difficult to adapt it for use with the iTouch client (we need a shorthand word to cover both the iPhone and iPod Touch). Files can be loaded from pretty much any browser, so they stay fairly independent of the desktop OS, except for the converter, of course. I do wonder if they will offer conversion of uploaded files, which they also do for the eBookwise.

They have said they expect to deploy this functionality in the next week or two, which I take to mean four to six weeks for most software releases.

Jack

Last edited by Jack B Nimble; 07-17-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote