Thread: Travel Writers
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I too am a fan of Paul Theroux. I particularly liked Dark Star Safari.

Before Simon Winchester wrote The Professor and the Madman (great book) he wrote a number of highly underrated travel books. Korea is very good and so is Outposts.

I've also really enjoy the books of Colin Angus. He's an adventure writer who has completed some pretty amazing trips. His best books are Beyond the Horizon where he circumnavigates the globe purely with human power and Amazon Extreme.

I also love travel books with a food focus. Anthony Bourdain is the king of this genre even thought lots of people hate him. I think he's great. A Cook's Tour is a great book. Just don't read his fiction - it's awful.

Other great books more about food, but with a travel element:
The Devil's Picnic by Taras Grescoe
The Year of Eating Dangerously by Tom Parker Bowles (Brother of Camilla)
Heat by Bill Buford
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote