View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #509
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post

TFT screens are yesterdays news and the IPS screen's clearly have a advantage over them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Onda-Vi4...2455768&sr=8-1

Techrader.com - Galaxy Tab 2
"The 7-inch screen is a 1024 x 600 TFT affair, which shuns any AMOLED love that once threatened the Galaxy Tab lineup. The panel itself is lacklustre, lifeless and dull, which won't impress movie lovers one bit."

Galaxy Tab 2
For
Handy size
Great price
Decent performance
Classy look

Against
Dull screen - Sounds like some english women
Unresponsive to the touch
TouchWiz is bland
Fiddly browser

NEXUS 7
For
Quality hardware
NFC support
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
Bundled Google Play freebies

Against
Weak IPS display contrast
Limited storage options
Too few Android tablet apps -This goes for all android tablets.
Some content hard to read (magazines) -This goes for all 7 inch devices.
A few notes, just for the record, in case anyone else is still shopping, like me.

Re the IPS screen, the review you're citing also said:
Quote:
"Our biggest lament (about the Google Nexus) is the muted contrast of the otherwise quite stellar IPS display; while it's not a total deal breaker, we're holding out hope that Google might push out a software update to bring the gamma levels in line with competing hardware, assuming it's not simply a glitch with our review unit.

I've read similar comments elsewhere. Meanwhile, as I was reading reviews, I came across reviews for the Samsung that said Samsung's own implementation of display technology does a very good job looking as good or better than many ICS screens.

Note that that Samsung review was from back in May. Some things have been updated/fixed by Samsung since then or are also inherent to the Android OS:
(My notes in red
. )

Against
Dull screen - Sounds like some english women <- Possibly fixed*, judging by mine and the reviews I read.(The display - not the women. )
Unresponsive to the touch <- Much better after an update. Mine is perfectly responsive.
TouchWiz is bland <- I like it! LOL But users can easily download other launchers - no rooting needed.
Fiddly browser <- It's the stock ICS Browser, so as you say,

*Colors, etc. It will still be a lower (1024 x 600) resolution and DPI, but I *think* I agree with those who prefer that on 7", as things get too tiny otherwise.

Anyway, I just got my Samsung a few days ago, but I can still return it and get the 16GB Google Nexus for the same price, so I'm open minded. I just haven't seen enough to make me confident that the loss of storage or USB-OTG I get with this wouldn't be more seriously missed.

If I finish evaluating my space needs and find that 16gb would be enough (no way would 8GB) there are at least two other hurdles I need to cross:

1. It's a risk to buy something so new.

2. Since it won't do flash, we wouldn't be able to watch our Amazon Prime Videos.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote