Old 07-10-2008, 04:38 AM   #65
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdemers View Post
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum so this is my first post.

I received a lbook V3 from the distributor in Ukraine for review purposes about ten days ago.

From my perspective, the device is not good enough. My key issues are:

1- Yes, it supports many formats but you have to tweak all of them before you load them or there are formatting and page break problems (and I do know how to fix them but I do not have the time)
2- Contrast is low: I need to wear glasses when using it (the price you pay for a long life, I guess)
3- The only thing it does better than a PDA is keeps a battery charge forever, a benefit of Viplex E Ink, not specific to the Hanlin device

Retail in Ukraine is about 1700 UAH (235 Euros or 363$). I would pay more for something with an 8 level gray scale (the lbook has 4)

I am going to try a Sony next and see how it compares

1. Known issue, hence the new firmwares with improvements (although last month it has been quite with firmware releases I must admit).

2. Turn on your lamp when reading, just as you would with a book That's the whole idea of e-ink. No backlight, improved contrast compared to other divices in natural light/reading conditions.

Explain your 8 bit level reasoning? The iLiad is the only device currently supporting 8 bit greyscale. Compared to the V3, the V3 has a more clear rendering of text and graphics.
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote