Thread: Whither SF?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #141
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Several times the force is called magic. Hana Solo makes fun of it, I think he called it hocus pocus, and Darth Vader chokes someone at one point for doing something similar. Have not seen the movies in many many years, so do not recall all the references....
Han calls it a "hokey religion."

Vader choked the guy who said:

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the Rebel's hidden fortress...urp!"

He was calling it magic sarcastically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
They tried to "science-ify" the magic of The Force with all the extremely silly midi-chlorian hoo-hah in the later movies/books, but it never really took. It was magic (in a science-fiction setting).
I prefer to see it as a chi or ki - like force.

Of course it would seem like magic or sorcery to the uninitiated.
As for the midi-chlorians, I prefer to prentend I never hear of them. Or Jar Jar.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 05-12-2012 at 10:51 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote