View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 AM   #5
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

Embedded fonts are usually introduced in CSS stylesheets by a @font-face declaration.

I would like to stress a point that may confuse some beginner. Sigil ask you to be consistent: be careful to write the font family names on other parts of your stylesheet exactly in the same way as in your font-face declaration. This concerns single quotes.

Single quotes are not compulsory for fonts with a one word name like Arial; or even LibertineOCRegular. You can either use then or not. It's optional.

Times New Roman, on the other hand is a font name which includes two whitespaces and which must be written between quotes. It's compulsory.

But, if you use single quotes in one place for a font name, use single quotes everywhere. Sigil cares for consistency. You can't really complain about it but you must be aware of it.

http://code.google.com/p/sigil/issues/detail?id=1358

Here above, you'll find an attached EPUB file which has no validation problem either with Epubcheck or FlightCrew. ADE displays the true small capitals, Sigil does not, precisely because of this single quotes discrepancy.

You also can check how it displays on ADE as there, sometimes, can be, for me, unexplained differences.
Have a look at this book for example: http://efele.net/ebooks/livres/000163/index.html
L'homme au masque d'or and download the epub version (not the epub-) and compare Sigil and ADE displays. I would be keen to have some comments on this.

This is an advice.

Last edited by roger64; 04-19-2012 at 01:12 AM. Reason: A lenghtened commentary
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote