View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #45
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
Dickens was popular in his own time, used common language and is considered "literary", H.P.Lovecraft used some rather difficult, anachronic blasé language, was not popular in his own time and is not by any means considered literary. Borges, I think, beautifully walks along both "genres"...

I think reading solely about dragons, zombies or space marines is puerile behaviour. It's acceptable in a consumerist society where being teen-like is desirable because it means more money being wasted on life-filling junk.
And I think talking about things you know nothing about is absolutely elitist, extremely snobby and stupid... the genres of SF&F include far more than that and all you do is highlight your own ignorance if you think that is the sum of the genres... rather like Margaret Atwood and her comments... try "Earth Abides," "A Canticle for Leibowitz," "Bring the Jubilee" and many more- not a single dragon, zombie or space marine in sight... and that's just the start...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote