View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #85
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
... don't import anything yet, until we have cleared the UTF-8 issue

I did some further testing, and these are the results:

- to change a resource on transifex from PROPERTIES to MOZILLAPROPERTIES, (it seems like ) it has to be removed and re-created. Removing a resource loses all associated translations, so we MUST make a backup of everything first.
- as expected, Java does not support UTF-8 properties out-of-the-box, but it should be possible to integrate this into the tool.

So, if we want to go for this, the workflow would be:
1. update the tool to assume everything is UTF-8. (ixtab) [this would not affect the extract part, but only the compile part -- or am I wrong?]
2. once the tool is ready, make a backup of current translation state, wipe all resources, upload result of extraction as new MOZILLAPROPERTIES resources, convert existing translations, re-upload existing translations. (eureka)

Is this correct, and should we go for it? I have "assigned" 2. to you, but I'm fine to help with the conversion part (i.e., to write some kind of tool to convert a .properties file from PROPERTIES to MOZILLAPROPERTIES format, aka from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8).

Let me know...
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote