View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #421
whoever
Enthusiast
whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Windows XP
Do I need to run the full package to upgrade to 3.2.1 first before running this extract/edit to 3.3? (That is if I figure out running python on windows and find where this _tool.py is first )

If I were to create the full package myself, can I run the updater

update_dxg-2.5.8-prepare_kindle.bin
update_k3g-3.1-create_updater.bin

On DX client and Keyboard 3G w/ 3.3 host?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
I'm sure most of you know this already, but I just decided to update my Kindle DX from 3.2.1 to 3.3. If you're running that package found on bay of pirates, all you have to do is download the 3.3 update for any Kindle 3. I'm using the Kindle 3 Wifi+3G update, so the filenames may differ. Use Kindle_update_tool.py to extract Update_kindle_3.3_B006.bin and decompress it. You'll now find "Update_525120101-611680021.bin". Use the update tool to extract that and decompress it. Now you'll have a bunch of files. Go into the "06" folder and find "update-06-576290015-611680021.bin". Open that in a hex editor and go to offset 0xC. Change it to 0x02 for K2, 0x03 for K2i, 0x04 for DX, 0x05 for DXi, and 0x09 for DXG. Now copy that update to your Kindle and run it. You might get an error and it's ok because some of the modem files may be different, but your Kindle will be updated regardless. Someone can make a "premade" package of 3.3 updates, but I don't have the time.
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote