View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #14
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernep View Post
I have one question. How sensitive this is for shaky hands? Does it roll easily over the book pages? For textbooks to be OCRd this is not big issue but scanning comics it will be.
What I am looking for is skew-free output within the acceptable margins.

We used to have hand scanner at school - in the eighties. I hope technology has improved since then.
I don't have shaky hands, so I can't speak to the sensitivity of the scanner. But obviously, the steadier and smoother you can use the scanner, the better.

It is a good idea to keep an eye out for dog-eared pages and straighten those out before scanning, because it will tend to "catch" on any folds, tears, etc... If the book has slightly rougher paper, it may not move as smoothly, though generally I've been able to cope with it.

I would think it would do comics fairly easily, but it's not something I've ever tried. If you want skew-free, you'll need to keep the area you are scanning as flat as possible and move the scanner straight across.

It helps if you use a piece of black card stock behind the page you are scanning. It also helps (at least with books) if you build up a "platform" for the card stock to rest on. I use assorted thin junk catalogues/magazines in layers as needed, so you can build up or make the platform thinner, depending on whether you are doing odd or even pages.

What you want is a really smooth roll off the end of the text, no "bump" going down from the pages to the table, etc...

Comics are usually pretty thin, so you probably won't have too much problem with this, but having that adjustable platform definitely helps with books. At any rate, I've been able to get decent scans of illustrations in books.

Oh and to answer MrTeatime's earlier question, I use Abbyy Finereader Pro for my proofreading.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote