View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Inspiration is a tool in a writer's chest. Some writers depend on it to begin or maintain a project; others can work without it, or use it sparingly. I'm in the latter category, being more of a craftsman than an artist, and being capable of starting and maintaining a new writing project whenever I'm ready to work.

Inspiration is usually thought of as a "spark," a sort of coalescence of ideas so powerful that they compel you to act upon them, whether you're ready to act or not. Therefore inspiration, as emotional as it tends to be, has to be tempered by intellect, lest you're drawn into spending a lot of time on nothing useful (though even in those cases, it can serve as a learning process).

There are working processes for writers that can essentially substitute for the inspiration spark, methods that bring your ideas together and lock them in, so you can approach them at your leisure and work on them in almost any frame of mind. (Again, this is how I work.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EileenG View Post
It made me wonder if it would be possible to have a blacksmith as a romantic hero.
Google "Will Turner."
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote