View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
Algiedi
Overenthusiastic Noob
Algiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Backlit reader for declining eyesight

Hello everyone!

Christmas (like winter) is coming, and I'd like to buy my mom an ebook reader. She's been an avid reader all her life, and has an amazing literature culture as a result. Lately it's also been a precious way for her to relax between very demanding work shifts.

However, her eyesight (which has never been good to begin with) has recently deteriorated to the point where she can't read anymore, at all. She can read some on the computer, with magnifying glasses, but not for too long and she can't bring a PC around with her during the interminable bus rides to work.

She told me that she can read better on a backlit screen so I'd like to go for that. Having as big a screen as possible would also be nice so she can use bigass fonts without getting 2 words per line.
Apart from that, anything goes.

I expect various kinds of tablets can do that, but before I delve into the seemingly very complicated world of iPad-likes, I'd like to know if there are any ebook-specific devices out there that would match that description.
Algiedi is offline   Reply With Quote