View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 03:17 AM   #8
monkeygirl351
Connoisseur
monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, ipad, and kindle 3
And this, my friends, is why I get rid of drm from any book I buy. This is an example of what any company can do. You pay full book prices for only a license to use said book, for as long as said company sees fit. If your device or what not is no longer profitable to support, they could care less about the inconvenience they cause by suddenly locking you out of potentially hundreds of dollars of ebooks that you invested in.
I don't really think it is the same as records, or VHS cassettes ect. Those had no drm and there were ways to copy to the current format, or you can get a VHS player, or turntable like a previous poster said, and still be able to use your investment.
Now these blackberry users, I suppose could go out and get a nook, but what happens if barnes and noble totally stopped supporting ebooks. Probably won't happen anytime soon, but in the event that that did happen, everyone with drm protected nook books would no longer have access to those books due to drm. This could happen with any of the large retailers ie amazon, kobo, Sony ect. I have a kindle and buy the majority of my books from amazon, buti do purchase else where and convert if necessary. I get rid of drm as I buy a book, and then I back up all my books to three different locations. One of which is a cloud storage. I have invested lots of money into my books, too much to lose on the whim of a company deciding if they will continue to support my device. Another benefit, I am not tied to one device either. As most of my library is converted to both ePub and mobi.
monkeygirl351 is offline   Reply With Quote