View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #83
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
kacir's sticky is wagging a tail of 165 posts (last time I looked earlier).

I may not be thinking straight due to needing some sleep soon, but there was more than one reason I was worried about a sticky at this point.

1. Tail size would be very long. I intend to pursue this for months. I don't have a problem with that tail, you might not have a problem with it, but new users might as they're the ones wading thru, particularly if they're not forum-savvy yet. I had that problem at first here, being new to forums, because I felt like I should read everything before I attempted posting instead of just skipping ahead and risking it.

2. The pace of change in the text of the OP sticky will be fast. I can see this slowing down and stabilizing sometime in the future but at this point I can't predict how long that will be. I don't have a problem with that, you might not have a problem with that, but new user might. When it stabilizes for a "new user" sticky, I might jump over and become an intermediate user and go through the same kind of "thinking out loud" rapid development learning process again towards a sticky at that level, if someone else hasn't done it by then already. I like theducks' lightbulb.

3. I hear starson's concern that a new user may have difficulty finding this regular ole thread, but I'm okay with that because its not ripe enough yet for new users to digest. IMO. Such as when I was brand new user, I would have wanted to miss this thread at that point because I was more concerned about learning how to put series into kindle-title and figuring out how to convert DRMd things. Unless its stable I don't see such a long-tailed sticky doing anything but confusing that user.

Edit1...4. There might be a lot of my asking mods to move or delete things. Someone contacted me this week mildly annoyed that I'd asked for a double-post mistake to be deleted. Edit3: Because it hadn't been the first time during a 2 or 3 day period. So I'm even more leary of that in this type of thread let alone a sticky tailed one.

Edit2…5. Whether Manichaen was originally right or wrong about sticky being editable by poster if it's locked - just doesn't feel like the right time yet, to me. I have a major revision progressing that'll probably get posted in a couple days, then that will need minor fixing, then people will respond, iteratively on for perhaps quite awhile.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-19-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: clarify