View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #97
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by detemps View Post
This may sound kinda strange but I was just wondering something. I have looked into the thread a bit and I noticed that most of the files that you are sharing are .mobi files. That seems pretty encouraging to me.

What I want is not to compile a dictionary, but rather buy a much more comrehensive one from mobipocket. I have not been able to find any info, so I thought I'd rather ask here.

Let's suppose that I buy Harrap's Shorter French-English dictionary, download it in .mobi format. Will I be able to use that as a default dictionary when reading books on my Kindle? I don't want to leave the book I'm reading each time I want to look up a word, as I'm sure all of you would sympathize with me. Just like already supplied one with the Kindle on purchase, I want to drag to cursor to the word I want to find a definition for and want to see the definition on a small box on the page that I'm currently reading.

I would like to know if this is at all possible. I know that this seems a bit off-topic but this place seemed to be the best for such a question, instead of starting a new thread.

Thank you very much in advance for any interest you might take in this.

Cheers!
welcome to the forum
Kindle works with mobi dicts without any problem.If there is more than one dict for the same language you can choose one of them as Primary Dictionary. However dicts should have some property: it should be marked as dict, its language should be described same with input language and input and output languages should be described on metadata. I think any professional dict has these properties. And even not, you can easily change by first deDRM then change metadata by mobi2mobi app. (as far as I know,on Kindle instant dict feature works only one way (ie "Fr to Eng" or "Eng to Fr" ) If you make two copy of a two-sided dict with corresponding language settings, it should also work. (If the dict is DRMed then you should be careful. It may not work properly.)

Last edited by thomass; 08-21-2011 at 05:05 PM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote