View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #248
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
The "official" price for 350 on our Waterstones local stock/order list is £149 !
But the staff say not to worry, everyone knows it's £111, and that's the price !
I remember they were £159 at one point a while ago...........
Strange isn't it? Some of the displays in stores have signs advertising a £111 offer but clearly denote that as being an expired deal. I got my reader a few weeks back and while playing about with the display model said I'd only be interested in purchasing at the reduced price. The assistant informed me that the offer is still running.

It's not running online, where the reader is priced at £10 off - £139. You also can't select a blue PRS-350 online.

Is the Sony partnership with Waterstone's the reason why UK users cannot access the Sony e-book shop (whatever that is called)? When I first got my reader, I noticed the official transfer program redirected one to Waterstone's for books. I'm not fussed either way now as I solely use Calibre.

Surely Sony readers must be somewhat popular in the UK - with just about every Waterstone's with a display stand? I'll admit that my nearest one didn't bother to charge the units on display - so I had to ask them to get one from the storeroom for me to play with.

I also noticed that Tesco have prominent Kindle displays in their larger stores, though, and I suppose that Tescos have a much higher footfall than any high-street book retailer.

I do hope Sony can stay in the market. I love my Pocket - the size makes a huge difference. I also like not being tied into one store.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote