View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 12:07 AM   #8
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
It's still a bit early to be popping any corks. It's good that a major publisher sold 2000 books as opposed to the 200 they expected. Of course, compared to their print sales, it's probably still a drop in the bucket.

In comparison, my Kindle sales have been an order of magnitude slower than my web site sales... I haven't made enough since November to get even a single royalty check from Amazon.

At this point, I wouldn't give this anecdote much weight. Let's wait until we get some hard numbers.
I agree with you that this is just a small positive news item, but every journey begins with a first step. I'm happy that we keep hearing lots of good little stories like this, because eventually they will to add up to a bigger success in the end.

I really do think that the Kindle is making more people aware of e-books and that is a good thing for all of us, regardless of our chosen reader.

My son works in a shopping mall, and when I go to pick him up, I read my kindle as I wait. I have been stopped at least once every single day by someone that asks "Hey, is that that Amazon thingy?" I am not exaggerating--it really has been at least once a day that I am at the mall. I'm happy to show them too, but at the end, they always ask the price. And when I tell them, most say they'll wait till it comes down in price.

But of course, since I am a Kindle owner and think it's very good at what it does, I get a wee bit more excited.

But you are correct in implying that we have a long way to go before e-book publishing is more than a just a few drops in a bucket. But that time will come and we are seeing the beginning stages.

No disrespect to my cybook-illiad-sony-brothers/sisters-in-arms, but Amazon was the one with the marketing muscle to make the average, non-geek (and even some geeks) aware of ebook readers. That's why I fail to understand some of the kindle-bashing comments in other threads.

Last edited by tsgreer; 03-16-2008 at 12:45 AM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote