View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 05:07 AM   #11
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post

You cannot set margins. You can change line spacing and have a large number of font sizes to choose from.
That is the main problem with Kindle, then.

All I want is to have a regular size book page (like 8" paperback) on my reader, so that it feels like I am reading a real book.

6" screen is too small, because such a regular size book usually has text size 7" (when margins, lines with page number and title are discarded).

The perfect solution: using 9" device and having such margins that leave the text size of 7" inside. If I use a font size similar to the one used in real books that are most comfortable for me to read, I get also a very comfortable width of text = length of the line of text (similar number of letters / words per line).
This is very important, if the line is too long, you have to follow it with your eyes left->right and then go back and search for the beginning of the next line.

An additional advantage of using wide margins is that wide white margins are very comfortable when reading words close to the edges of the page.
Then you can use a black device which makes the page look whiter.

Now, if you cannot set wide margins, then you have one of two:

1. Too long lines, too many letters in a line.
2. Or you have to use a font of a large size and read from a much greater distance.

In both cases, you also have text close to the edges of the screen, therefore you need a white device, not black, and therefore the page does not look as white.

So you see, the perfect solution is a 9" black device and wide margins (of approximately 22 mm from each of all 4 sides, but most importantly - the left and right margins).

From my experience: I bought a black 9" device fully expecting to be able to set those wide margins.
Unfortunately, the default software in PocketBook does not allow that.
The reading was pretty unpleasant.
Then I installed an open source fbreader180 and got the margins I needed:
the difference is like night and day. Now I cannot put the reader down, literally.
It is more comfortable than reading a real paper book for sure.
I got the practical confirmation, that the best way to read books is on 9" device with wide margins, as I planned all along.

Last edited by parkher; 05-22-2011 at 05:28 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote