View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #15
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sorry for the delay, folks. But I've talked with the team, and wanted to share the result with everyone in this thread. It will eventually be added into the FAQ information as well.

First of all, thank you so much to those who have thought about and asked about financial contributions to the site. I can't tell you how much we appreciate that!

In a way, you might find the answer surprising, but probably not so surprising to those who have been with the site from it's early stages. This site is owned and funded and administrated and maintained by Alexander Turcic. He is the primary genius, talent and persistent force behind the site. He has always been much more interested in the site as a resource for all than any monetary benefit. His generous and kind nature shows up in so many ways. It sets the tone for the overall interaction here, it means that members see very few advertisements in the forum pages, and it shows up in the quality of people that are members, and even those who have become a part of the MobileRead team. But Alex would be the first to tell you that one person can't make this site great. Not even a team of moderators can make this site great. The team does its best, but all comes down to the great members here that make it work. We really have nothing without each of you, and you are what gives all of us find joy in spending time at MobileRead, and you are the inspiration that causes people to devote great effort in helping in the work. Many tend to get so focused on technology and subject matter that they forget in the end, it's always about the people. We don't ever want to forget that at MobileRead.

Okay, I'm sure I've thoroughly embarrassed our fearless leader, so let me move on to the main point. Here's the scoop on questions about financial contributions. I hope you will all receive this in the manner in which it is intended - it is not at all a "no thank you", and in all ways is a "thank you so much, and please consider this manner of helping"! So here's the gist of what will end up on the FAQ page...

Quote:
The desire of members to donate to MR is greatly appreciated, and is humbling. However, the best way to support MR, for now, is with your participation and by helping to support our ongoing goal to provide the best online forum experience related to e-book topics. We want very much to keep discussions friendly and helpful, and this can only happen with the help of all our great members. We delight to see you being helpful to others, taking time to bring newcomers up to speed, providing constructive feedback, contributing to book uploads or wiki entries, or gently and politely setting an example of good forum behavior... these are all great ways of contributing.
We can't promise that there won't be any future financial needs that require a request for help. But, honestly, this is really what we desire most - your participation and contribution and positive influence. Sharing your personality and knowledge and helpfulness is a powerful thing.

So again, thank you so much for the concern and desire to contribute, especially to KennyC for starting this thread! Thanks also to rePete for making me aware of the discussion. Of course, you can probably always find a few troublemakers that may cause us to pull out our hair sometimes, but you gals and guys are really great, and are all appreciated as a part of this wonderfully diverse bunch of people that truly inspire us.

Happy MobileRead-ing to all of you!!!!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote