View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #166
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
{snip}... And here is a test video
http://www.mediafire.com/?meby28unjt7jhyc
That video seems to be encoded completely wrong for almost any portable media device. The bitrate is way too high, averaging over 9000kbps (probably should be closer to 1500 or 2000). The audio is 256kbps and that is also way too high (even for a 1st gen AppleTV); that should be no more than 160kbps although 128kb should certainly be sufficient. As well, the aspect ratio is wrong (or is the video expecting something to correct an anamorphic setting?).

I took the liberty of re-encoding that file into something that, I hope, will work much better given the limitations in the hardware in the Nook Color. It should also play nicely with iPad and AppleTV (and, of course, all Macs and most PCs). I won't be able to test it in my Nook until it arrives next week.

Please let me know how this works:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/alddl8

I used Handbrake and used the "AppleTV Legacy" setting as the starting point. Then I set the audio to AAC-128kb and the video to a target size of 5MB (which provided a bitrate of 2336). I set the fps to 23.976 just to be paranoid (as Handbrake -should- maintain the existing fps but I've seen it get confused), the video codec to MPEG-4 (not H264), then enabled 2-pass encoding; in this instance, 2-pass probably didn't make a difference but it's a habit.

I'd imagine playing a 2 hour video would wipe out the battery pretty well. However, if we can reduce the bitrate sufficiently, this might be mitigated.

Barry

edit: Looks like others have done some work in this matter before I got around to it. Still, I'm excited to see how the Nook does video. Mine should arrive late next week.

Last edited by rumplestiltskin; 04-05-2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: I RTFF.
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote