View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Dale, that's an interesting site. I'll have to give it a try and report back.
I'll add a bit to the discussion here. There are two fully operational fanfiction downloader programs that I'm aware of, DeFFNetizer and Fanfiction Downloader (the previously mentioned program). I've used both in the past; at the moment, I feel that Fanfiction Downloader is by far the better program. Someone here on the forum is also working on one called FFExtract but it's still very early in its development and not very functional at this point in time.

DeFFNetizer has been around for a while, but it's changed maintainers and the new maintainer has had to learn a new language (Python) in order to work on it, so things have been at a bit of a standstill lately. It saves individual chapters in HTML format & comes with several save templates to choose from (or you can customize your own). Currently, it works for Fanfiction.Net and TTHFanFic.Com (Twisting The Hellmouth). As well, the following sites either have limited functionality or are slated for future development:

* FicWad.Com
* LOTRFanFiction.Com
* PortKey.Org
* HarryPotterFanFiction.Com
* PhoenixSong.net

DeFFNetizer is available at http://www.deffnetizer.com/. Source code is available, along with Windows and Mac binaries.

The second fic downloader is one that I've just recently come across but it's quickly become my favourite. Fanfiction Downloader is available at http://www.home-eisele.de/downloader_e.php. The developer responded very quickly when I submitted a bug report and a couple of suggestions through the site. The current release (3.7) supports the following sites:

- fanfiction.net
- fanfiktion.de
- checkmated.com
- portkey.org
- adultfanfiction.net
- Animexx.de (test)
- Fictionalley.org (schnoogle, astronomy....)
- Fictionpress.com

Fanfiction Downloader will save as individual chapters or as a single file. It saves in RTF, HTML, or PDF. Very slick - but, unfortunately, only currently available as a Windows binary. It's written in C++.

For the sake of completeness, I'll also mention that there is an online fic download helper site available at http://www.ficsavers.com/. I haven't used Ficsavers but I've heard good things about it; you're supposed to be able to customize the fonts, background colours, etc. of the fics that you download with it. It currently supports 19 fanfic sites.

Last edited by dcalder; 02-06-2008 at 01:04 PM.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote