Thread: category filter
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I had gone into the Manage user categories dialog and confirmed that the only filter categories available were the four the OP mentioned, at which point I made my first post (funnily enough it had occurred to me that maybe there was a custom column possibility nowadays, but as none of my columns were in the dropdown I assumed not).
This would have been true until the latest release. I found during testing the new composite-category stuff that one could drag/drop custom columns onto user categories, but the user category editor did not support them. This was clearly wrong.
Quote:
As you would expect, my new custom column showed up in the tag browser with titles listed within it. However when I go into the Manage user categories dialog now, the dropdown of filter types has 8 items in it - the "original 4", my new title column which I expected, but also the three "text" variation columns shown above. My Goodreads id column does not appear, and the checkbox for it is unchecked.
So far, so good. The only columns that should appear are text columns.
Quote:
So my confusion lies as to if those text columns should always have appeared in the list why they did not until I added that {title} column with the "Show in tag browser" option checked. Or are they not supposed to appear at all... as they have no checkbox option available for them anyway about whether to "Show in tag browser".
Perhaps the confusion stems from my change to add the already-category custom columns to the drop box in this release?

I have tried to repeat the scenario -- having text-like custom columns that don't show in the box until a composite column is added -- and have failed. Is it possible you did an upgrade between the tests or were remembering earlier behavior? I hesitate to ask this question because you clearly are careful about such things, but as this change wasn't announced you might not have noticed?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote