View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
WSJ Online is reporting that Sony, Samsung, Philips, Matsushita and Intertrust have joined the Marlin Joint Development Association, aiming to develop standard specifications for software that can prevent digital movies and music from being improperly copied.
(Emphasis mine) I have to wonder what they consider "properly" copying their content..

There is this growing sentiment in the industry to remove the "ownership" rights of a purchased work from the customer (note, I did not say "consumer", we do not "consume" products), to a "lease" or "rent" model. Do you want to "rent" your music for 20 plays? Or that DVD you just bought, for 5 plays only?

People generally want to keep what they spend their money on, and consider it their own, when they do. Should I write checks with vanishing ink now? Or print my own currency on paper that degrades after 10 uses?
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote