View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 03:45 AM   #54
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtx99 View Post
. . . Likewise, if someone says they mainly want a reader so they can read ebooks from the library, which is something that is not that important to me since my local libraries don't have a good selection, I wouldn't make fun of someone for wanting to have a reader compatible with Overdrive library books. I just wouldn't recommend the Kindle to those individuals.
Funny, what you said above about "not that important to me since my local libraries don't have a good selection."

This was almost word for word EXACTLY what my local Kindle pod-person said, when I inquired if perhaps SHE knew how to get the Kendle working with Overdrive so we could transfer library books.

The Overdrive section of my local library currently lists 685 Epub titles, which may not sound like much, but it includes a really nice selection of both New York times best selling authors and popular works from lesser known authors.

Do Kindle owners think it makes them seem worldly and important if they imply that they just couldn't possibly live for even a minute without access to such popular world shaking titles as "Farming Practices of Western Siberia 1645 to 1840" ?

So I asked to see what she had on her Kindle.

No Farming Practices from Siberia (or anywhere else as it turns out), nothing special or exotic at all in fact, just a couple James Patterson, a couple Dean Koontz, and a Dan Brown. Out of the measly six books on the device, EVERY ONE WAS AVAILABLE IN OUR LOCAL LIBRARY.

Now in fairness, only ONE of the titles that she had on her Kindle (I Alex Cross) was available for immediate checkout, but when titles are already checked out, you can request to be wait-listed and the library will happily email you when your ebook title is available.

I noticed that a second of her titles, Dan Brown's - The Lost Symbol, became available only two days later (even without being wait-listed), so I went ahead and grabbed it myself. I didn't find it to be my cup of tea, which highlights a HUGE benefit of using the library - Not having to pay 10 bucks to find out you won't like something.

Overall, I have found the Overdrive service to be quite useful, so I wish folks wouldn't dismiss it so casually.

If you really must have some screaming hot title that you either can't find, or get wait listed for, then BY ALL MEANS YOU ARE FREE TO BUY IT !

With the PRS-650, you can buy books from Kobo, Borders, and Google Books, as well as the Sony Book Store (plus others that are coming on line with Adobe EPUB titles).

That's what I like about the Sony - LOT'S OF OPTIONS.

So getting back to the topic at hand -

As has been very wisely stated, it's hard to recommend anything flat out without knowing your potential buyers priorities.

I would hate to recommend the Sony solely on the strength of its' really nice touch screen interface, and the fact that the features it does have, like it's built in MP3 player, are nicely designed and work well (unlike Kindles horrible, near useless "experimental" 'science project' features) - then find out later that the person who bought the PRS-650 was overcome with envy when a friend whipped out a Kindle 3G and 'tweeted' or some other such web related B.S. (Geeee, I wish I could do that!!!).

Personally, I have very mixed feelings about an e-ink style e-reader like the Kindle 3 or PRS-650 being turned into a web-enabled device. I suppose it's ok to use WiFi or 3G to simplify the process of loading books onto the device, but when I am reading, it's just me and the words on the printed page, and I DON'T WANT the web intruding and creating distractions.

When I read on my Netbook, for example, it's hard to resist popping open a browser window to quickly check a factoid that happened to spark some interest while reading. If I am doing technical reading for research purposes, a limited amount of this type of spontaneous 'hyper searching' can be productive and useful.

When reading for enjoyment, however, I find having the web close at hand, almost without exception, to be distracting and negative.

In other words, simply put, NOT having a web browser and email messaging close at hand while reading for pleasure is the better choice for me, because it reduces distractions and lets me stay focused and enjoy my reading more.

"Heh, but what about that fancy PRS-650 touch screen interface?" you might ask, "Doesn't that wiz bang technology ALSO create a distraction factor?"

Actually, NO, quite the opposite - The PRS-650's touch screen technology, far from adding a technical distraction factor, actually reduces it. This is because the touch interface is so incredibly simple and intuitive, that it essentially JUST VANISHES.

You just find your books cover in the thumbnail browser - give it a quick tap to open it - and literally one second later - it's just you and the printed word. Simple, elegant, glorious!

On the other hand, if you are more a product of the modern age, and find that none of my comments ring true to you . . .

If you find that even 10 minutes spent reading, without pausing to "update status" causes you to start to feel physically ill from the symptoms of 'INTERNET WITHDRAWAL', then you might just be happier with a Kindle 3G. Lack of Overdirve support though, would make Kindle my LAST choice.

If I did want the web handy while reading, I would prefer a Netbook, Nook Color, or other Android tablet based reader, all of which offer BETTER web browsers, and all of which DO have support for checking out Adobe EPUB books using my libraries Overdrive service.

Last edited by delphin; 01-17-2011 at 01:20 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote