View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #53
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post

I have to say, i can never understand the "mine is better than yours" attitude some folks here at MR seem to have toward their ereaders, whether it's Kindle people looking down on others, or Sony people looking down on Kindles, Nook people looking down on Kobo, Pocketbook people looking down on whatever, Apple people looking down on ereaders, etc., etc., etc. Nor do I understand the defensive stance that some take when someone makes negative comments about their particular device. Do not self-identify with your ereader - negative comments against it are not negative comments against you.

There is no perfect ereader, people. There's only ones that meet our particular needs at a particular point in time. Just because someone chooses a different ereader than the one you love doesn't mean that they chose poorly, or that they were duped, or that they are dumb. People get what works best in their particular cirumstances.

/end rant
Well, that *was* the point I was trying to make when I said "It also depends on an individual's reading habits. What's important to one person may not be equally important to another person, based on how each individual plans to use their device." And then pointing out what I liked about each device as an example of why someone might choose one device over another. But apparently that point was totally lost as someone then proceeded to make fun of the one example that might be important to others because it was not important to him personally.

ETA: I have also seen many people post that they do not want a touchscreen on their reader. Now, me, I love the touchscreen on the Sony, but if others don't want a touchscreen, that's fine and I would never belittle them because they don't like the feature that I like best. I just wouldn't recommend a Sony to them (unless it was an older Sony without the touchscreen). Likewise, if someone says they mainly want a reader so they can read ebooks from the library, which is something that is not that important to me since my local libraries don't have a good selection, I wouldn't make fun of someone for wanting to have a reader compatible with Overdrive library books. I just wouldn't recommend the Kindle to those individuals.

Last edited by sbtx99; 01-16-2011 at 07:48 AM.
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote