View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #48
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtx99 View Post
No, it's not just being a "member of the massive Kindle herd." It also depends on an individual's reading habits. . .
yes, it's really nice that kindle can "sync" so I can also read my kindle book on that tiny 1.4 inch screen on my smart phone, not to mention on my microwave oven, toaster, and other assorted really useful 'book reading' appliances.

Hell, without that 'sync' I might actually have to remember a page number . . .

Of course, I will be the first to admit that this is a bit more useful for Kindle owners, since remembering 'page numbers' on the Kindle a real pain, since it uses that non-standard multi digit mishmash instead of EPUBs more normal looking number range.

Sorry I can't be more enthusiastic about Kindle, but I have just had a seemingly never ending series of experiences that have convinced me, "Friends don't let friends buy Kindles." (at least not if they have already seen what a book reader SHOULD BE)

In a moment of weakness, I relented and did not object when a close family member bought a kindle instead of the Sony that other family members use.

They had been proselytized by some friends who were obvious Kindle pod-people. These folks were just soooo proud of how they had become hi-tech masters of the Internet, and could, are you ready for this? - ACTUALLY 'download' and READ A BOOK! (insert proud tittering giggle here)

I have been dealing with the fallout ever since . . .

To help out, I take Kindle out of box, connect it up and download a book and hand Kindle to proud new owner, who looks at the book title on Kindle's home screen.

Proud new Kindle owner - "How come there's no pictures?" reaches up and taps book title with finger, "it's not working!"

Me - "Sorry, it's not a touch screen, like the Sony" I take Kindle and show them how to open the book.

a little while later -

"Could you show me how to download this book to the Kindle?"

Thinking they just want help with the kindle store, I follow them back to the computer to find they have downloaded a book to Adobe ADE from the local library's Overdrive page, and now want to send it to the Kindle -

Me - "Sorry, that doesn't work with Kindle"

Concerned Kindle owner - "It's ok, see? I downloaded it ok! I can see it right here!" pointing to the book cover icon.

Me - "Yeh, you downloaded it just fine, you have it right here, I see - " I open the book in ADE on the PC, "but you will have to just read it on the computer, you CAN'T send it to Kindle."

"Huh? but, we do that all the time!"

"Yep, but that's with the Sony, it doesn't work with the Kindle"

Trying to placate this poor wretch, I show them that the library does have some un-encrypted plain vanilla MP3 audio books that can be downloaded, and help them load one of these onto the Kindle.

A few Days later -

"Could you show me something on the Kindle?"

"Sure, what's the problem"

"Well, sometimes I nod off while listening to my audiobook, and then I have to start over."

At this point I try to explain how they can conveniently jump to the middle of an 80 minute long MP3 audio book track, only to discover that THERE IS NO WAY TO DO THIS ON THE KINDLE.

Because the Kindles built in MP3 playback is only really designed to work with 'Audible' content, and for generic MP3's your track positioning can only jump 30 seconds at time (pretty much the most useless piece of garbage I have ever seen in my life).

And so on, and so on . . .

Sure if all you want to do is pay Amazon 10 bucks and read a book, Kindle is fine.

Other than being a good way to help Amazon's cash flow, I can't say I'm very impressed with the Kindle.

Last edited by delphin; 01-15-2011 at 10:23 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote