Thread: Discworld
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #15
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalynn View Post
I just got started with discworld as well! I started with the color of magic, which is the first one written. A few of my friends say the other ones that were published later are better, but I wanted to start at the beginning. I'm liking it, but not loving it. I'm towards the end of the book and I feel like the writing is getting a little disjointed. However I do plan to continue on with the series!
I know this is a common gripe on this site with some books but I was really annoyed to find the color of magic and a few others in the series priced at $9.99! For goodness sakes the series has been out I think since the 80's and the paper backs are 7.99! I've chosen to purchase the ones that are priced at 9.99 as used paper backs and will be buying the ebooks that are priced at 7.99.

eta- I found this fun chart for reading orders and entry points http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-...r-guide-20.jpg
The later books do have more flow to them. Personally, I prefer the ones kind of in the middle, because they maintain the quirkiness in writing style, but more polished. (Men at Arms, Reaperman, though Nightwatch is my favorite and it's in the more recent style.) The Tiffany Aching books are also excellent.

Someone upthread mentioned Jasper Fforde, which I've also recommended to a lot of people, but there's a caveat. The humor in the Thursday Next series is largely composed of riffs on classic literature. I enjoyed the first two books, but I haven't read a lot of classics, so I could feel the breeze from a good portion of the jokes zinging by be. A little humbling.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote