View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by janvanmaar View Post
The compilation errors are because of missing sqlite headers. But don't play with compilation of Calibre from sources, that won't solve your problem.

Your problem is probably either broken filesystem or write protection set. Have a look at the manual of your device:
http://docs.sony.com/release/PRS650.pdf
and search for protection and check that you have the protection off (the manual says that it should work device-only but who knows how they implemented it). If this is not the problem then you'll probably have to repair or reformat your filesystem (in any case, backup all contents of your device)
Many thanks for your reply.

Calibre still reports the same, "Error communicating with device", with all books unprotected.

When you say, "repair ... your filesystem", how do I do that? What is the function of the launcher filesystem? Is it something that was created when Calibre was installed? If so, then why isn't it repaired when Calibre is reinstalled? If not, then why does the reader seem to function perfectly, despite not working with Calibre? Surely, the PRS-650 OS' wasn't designed to be used with Calibre.

I know how to reformat the filesystem. However, when you say, "backup all contents", how would I restore the data in the event of failure? Would copying folders and files back necessarily restore the reader back to its currently working state? I am concerned about the OS. Is it stored entirely as firmware in an EPROM?

With the greatest of respect, given that I see you are a Kindle 3 user, apropos of reformatting the filesystem on my Sony, is this something that you have actually done yourself, or have expert knowledge of, or are you just trying to help out here?

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-01-2010 at 10:09 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote