View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #118
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinj View Post
I'm well aware of the advantages of LCD over eInk. But, if you are being sincere (no offense), then you are one of very few whose brain is wired in such a way that staring into a light for hours is just as comfortable as not.
I am being sincere, and I'm not offended. But I don't think I'm one of "very few".

eInk got a jump start in ereaders because it was the technology used by the major players like Amazon and Sony. People were buying dedicated ebook reading devices that happened to use an eInk screen, with the advertised advantages of "looking like a book" and "long battery life". How many of those folks might be just as comfortable reading on an LCD display?

Barnes and Noble thinks many will, witness the color nook. And things like the Kindle and B&N app for smartphones and other devices have been highly popular, indicating that a lot of folks will happily read on their smartphone or tablet, and a fair number of them already have an eInk device, but want the option to read ebooks when they don't happen to be carrying their reader.

I have no real numbers on which kind of display is used to read ebooks by whom. But I very much doubt eInk displays constitute any sort of overwhelming majority. If we count in all displays used for the purpose, including multifunction devices that can display ebooks among other things, like smartphones, I'm not sure eInk is in the majority at all.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote