View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #112
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_1967 View Post
I don't know whether they ever manage to produce 24-bit colour depth to allow true colour reproduction so the devices may never be able to cater to everyone, but neither can newspapers. If your mainly read photographic books etc, then you would need a different device, but then again, so they do in print (paper used vs "regular books" for example).
I don't see eInk achieving 24 bit color, without adopting some new display technology that wouldn't be eInk.

As for newspapers, they've been improving. In the old days, newspapers were printed by letterpress, as it was the technology that could handle the volume required. Occasionally, a newspaper would attempt color on the front page for a special occasion, but the results were normally a travesty - they couldn't maintain registration between color passes, and the results were mud. These days, I believe most newspapers use offset presses, where color is a lot easier to manage. The limitation will be the resolution of the image. Newsprint paper is porous, so you aren't likely to do better than 72 DPI - try to go finer and the ink spreads and dots supposed to be separate merge.

In books (and for that matter, magazines,) if you use color, you are probably using a coated stock with a glossy finish. You can print color on any paper, but coated stocks give best results.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote