View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 02:18 AM   #35
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombWii View Post
But one just has to wonder how long publishers and Amazon are going to let
people fiddle with their products and load them onto devices that they aren't supposed to be able to and whatnot. How long before the Calibre folks are subject to litigation, or perhaps just being buried in cash in return for handing over Calibre to one of the involved entities.
Not sure why Calibre is mentioned as a potential target. They have nothing to do with breaking of the DRM, as far as I know.

You can also convert your documents or ebooks to Kindle format with free Amazon service. I don't think that your documents become Amazon's property when you put them on Kindle in this way.

Although Amazon can discontinue this free service at any time or issue a new firmware for your device that would allow reading books only from Kindle store, why would they do that?

All e-reader devices, Kobo, Kindle etc., in essence are small computers with e-ink screen. It doesn't make sense for content providers to control your device. If you can use your computer to load both KindlePC and Adobe Digital Editions software to read DRM protected books from different vendors, why not on your smaller computer?

Amazon is not opening Kindle because they may be selling Kindles below cost, or they may be genuinely interested to provide the best experience to technically less skilled customers. Whatever their intentions, I just want to read my books on one device at the time.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote